Overall, I thought the lesson went very well. Both students were excited and motivated to be working with me. During this time, I noticed that they worked very hard to stay focused on their thoughts. Both students were successful in completing their stories. In the same time it took the rest of the class to complete their stories, my students filled up all of the available lines with words and all of these words were readable. I was very excited to see them do so well. However, when I first started the lesson, I came to a realization. There is a difference between rushing the students and having them do their best and move on. For awhile I felt as though I was rushing them to finish their words. After a little bit, I took the time to help them break the words apart by sounding them out. We sounded out one letter, wrote it, and moved onto the next. I was sure to point out that we had tried our best and now we were going to move on to the next word. Eventually, the kids got into this routine and ended up doing really well with it.This worked better than me simply sitting back and urging the kids to hurry up with their words.
If I were to teach this lesson I would keep the majority of it the same. However, I would definitely take out the part where the students write down what I am saying aloud. I found that this idea was very challenging for both the students and I. I felt like I was rushing the kids and I think they felt pressure from it, too. It was especially difficult because all children write at their own pace. I would try to implement this lesson into our classroom on a daily basis. This strategy should be the first thing students think about when writing.A follow up lesson to this might be another writing assignment where this strategy is implemented. I think that by using this strategy all year, this lesson could be present within many other lessons.
|
Grade:
Kindergarten
Mini-Lesson
Rationale (Why are you
teaching this lesson?):
Students in Kindergarten are still learning how to write
and spell. Many of my students spend so much time worrying about their
spelling that they often only have time to write a few words. By practicing
this concept of doing your best and moving on, I hope that students will be
able to accomplish more during a set time of writing.
Objective
for this lesson: Students will be able to…
(Remember
it must be student centered and observable!!!!!!!)
Students will be able to recognize and record the letters
they hear in a timely fashion in order to write the story of a time they
connected with the character in the book.
Students will be able to write a complete story about
their past experiences.
Materials
& supplies needed:
White boards
Markers
Bedtime for Frances
Lined paper
|
|
Procedures
and approximate time allocated for each event
• Introduction to the lesson (What will you say to help children understand the purpose
of the lesson? How will you help them
make connections to prior lessons or experiences? How will you motivate them to become
engaged in the lesson?)
Do you remember when you first started drawing pictures in school? Sometimes
you would need to draw something but you didn’t always know how. When this
happened you tried your best and kept drawing. Tell me about a time when this
happened! What were you drawing? Did people end up knowing what it was? Well,
spelling out words works the same way. In Kindergarten you are just learning
how to write and there are times where we are not exactly sure how to spell a
word. When this happens we should try our best and keep moving on. When we
try our best and keep moving, we have more time to write even more words.
(3 minutes)
• OUTLINE of key events
during the lesson (Include specific details
about how you will begin and end activities; what questions you will use; how
you will help children understand behavior expectations during the lesson;
when/how you will distribute supplies and materials)
I will first talk to the kids about why we are doing a
special lesson. I will tell them that even though we are working separately,
we still need to do our best work and be on our best behavior.
The first thing I will do is model a writing situation. I
will take my white board and write a sentence. I will come across a word I
don’t know and model the appropriate actions to take. I will sound out the
word and write the sounds I hear. I will ask myself, “Does this look right?” Then
I will say, “Well I am not completely sure but I did my best so I am going to
keep moving on, that way I will be able to write more words!”
I will then pass out white boards to the students I am
working with. As a way to practice moving on, I will say a sentence out loud
and they will write along as I go. I will give them enough time to sound out
and write the words but not an excessive amount of time where they might
second guess themselves and worry. The activity will be paced.
I will then ask the students to think
back to when they read the story Bedtime
for Frances.
What happened in the story?
What did Frances do to keep from
going to bed?
Think about a time where you were in
a situation similar to the one Frances was in.
I will then have the kids write about
their experience using the “moving on” technique we just discussed. I will
remind the students to spell words the best that they can and keep moving on
so they can write their entire story.
(15 minutes)
• Closing
summary for the lesson (How will you bring closure to the lesson and
involve children in reflecting on their experiences? How will you involve them making
connections to prior lessons or prepare for future experiences? What kind of feedback do you want from them
at this time?)
I will ask the students to read their story to the group. We
will talk about how their experiences relate to Frances’.
What was hard about this activity/doing your best and
moving on?
What was easy?
Were you able to write a lot?
Do you think that doing your best and moving on will help
you to write more?
I want the students to make the connection between using
this new strategy and the number of words they were able to write.
(3 minutes)
Assessment: (How will you know the students are progressing
toward your identified objective? What
will you observe for and/or take notes on to help you plan follow-up
instruction?)
The assessment for this activity is mostly done during the
lesson. The story that the students write will be used to assess how
effective they were at doing their best and moving on. I will pay attention
to how many words they were able to write in the allotted amount of time.
Since I will be able to watch each student while they are completing the
activity, I will be able to witness how well they use this new method of
writing firsthand. Also, any writing activity that they do in the future can
be used to assess this lesson. This technique will hopefully be something
students will use as they continue to grow as writers.
|
I think you did a great job with this lesson! I really like how there was a big emphasis on developing students' writing confidence. This is really important for the little ones because if they disengage and lose motivation now, they're never going to make it to senior year of college. ;)
ReplyDeleteI am wondering a little bit more about your assessment. I think that attending to how many words they write is a great way to start off. If you were to implement this lesson on a daily basis like you mentioned, what else would you be looking for? Should students be writing words that are phonetically correct? Should they have the correct letter represented at the beginning of each word? Are there and high-frequency words that you expect them to have spelled correctly? Are they allowed to ask for help?
I could definitely picture your teaching style in while reading your lesson. I am sure that the little nuggets love you!